Thursday 15 September 2011

More about post modernism (I could maybe use this in my practical!!)

In today's lesson we heard of 5 main modernist theorists and one of the theorists that we looked at today is called Ihab Hassan. This theorist is a university lecturer in America and has published many books and has researched a lot about modernism. Below is a table that shows the difference that he has made between modernism and post modernism:
Table showing the difference of modernism and postmodernism that Ihab Hassan established.

In a later post, I will talk about the other 4 theorists, but as we do not know what their names are I cannot possibly do this!!
In our lesson, we also had to represent the modernism and postmodernism with drawings that illustrated each one. For modernism, I drew a circle within a circle (this can be illustrated below)


I thought that this would represent modernism as it shows heirachy with the size of the circles, form because it is showing a circle and only a circle, design because it must have been designed by someone to draw circles within circles, centering because it shows the centre of the circle, boundary because the circle finally stops on the last circle and depth because of how many circles there are.

The picture below shows postmodernism and how I picture it in my head:


This shows postmodernism as it shows intertextuality, as the circles are overlapping each other and using each other to make everything chaotic, anitform because it is open and can carry on for ever and dispersal as it can go on forever and disperse easily.

I have written about modernism and postmodernism because I will use an aspect of this in my practical so that my theory can overlap with the teaser trailer that I will be producing for the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment